The Telescopic Measure
This is an alternative to the box string measure. Rods are extended to the distance between the jack and bowls and the screw-pointer used to make any fine adjustments.
When using a telescopic measure:
- Make sure you follow the Common Procedures for conducting a measure described earlier.
- Extend the measure until it is just short of the distance from bowl to jack.
- Without moving the bowl, hold the end of the measure which does not have the screw adjustment against the bowl.
- Make the fine adjustment with the screw end until the minimum of contact is made with both jack and bowl.
- Without altering the setting of the measure, check the other bowls.