WORLD BOWLS REGULATIONS (adopted 2 May 2018)
These are the Regulations of World Bowls, a Company registered under the Companies Acts of the United Kingdom under No. SC222522 and having its Registered Office at 1 Rutland Square, Edinburgh EH1 2AS (‘World Bowls’).
Part I – Interpretation and definitions
1.1 In these Regulations unless the contrary intention appears:
- words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in the Articles; and
- the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings:“Anti Doping Regulations” means the World Bowls Anti Doping Regulations, compliantwith WADA requirements, adopted by World Bowls on 26th March 2004, as the same may be amended from time to time.“Articles” means the Articles of Association of World Bowls, as amended from time to time.”Associate” of a person means a Bowler playing in the same Game as that person.
“Bet” means to stake money on the outcome of a Game, generally but not necessarily for the purpose of securing a pecuniary gain.
“Board” means the board of World Bowls.
“Bowler” means a person affiliated to a National Authority.
“Bulletin” means a bulletin issued in terms of Regulation 2.2.
“Conditions of Play” means the entry conditions governing a participant in a WorldBowls Event which must be approved in advance by World Bowls.
“Controlling Body” means the body having immediate control of the conditions under which a Game is played, in the order of precedence set out in the Laws of the Sport.
“Council Meeting” means an Annual Council Meeting, a Biennial Council Meeting or a Special Council Meeting, all as defined in the Articles.
“Disciplinary Committee” means a disciplinary committee convened for that purpose byWorld Bowls.
“Disciplinary Hearing” means a hearing before a Disciplinary Committee.
“Event” means any International Event or national competition or tournament in the
sport of bowls or such other competition or tournament including a World Bowls Event.“Financial year” means the year ending 31st December in each year.
“Game” means a game of bowls played at or as part of an Event.
“International Event” means an international competition, event or tournament in the sport of bowls in which two or more countries participate but excluding a World Bowls Event.
“Jury of Appeal” means a disciplinary body convened for the purpose of Part XI of these Regulations.
“Laws of the Sport” means the laws of the game for the sport of Bowls, governing the playing of Bowls.
“Match Fixing” means offering or receiving a bribe, inducement or otherwise to cause or attempt to cause a Game to be determined otherwise than on its merits.
“Memorandum” means the Memorandum of Association of World Bowls, as amended from time to time.
“Member” means a member of World Bowls as defined by the Articles.
“National Authority” means a nation which is a Member.
“National Delegate” means a delegate of a National Authority.
“Offence of Betting or Match Fixing” means the commission of prohibited conduct interms of Regulation 13.
“Official” means any Board or Council member, member of the board, council or executive of any National Authority, coach, umpire, team or squad manager, official bowls tester, authorised bowl inspector, promoter, match committee member or representative or medical officer or responsible official associated with a Game.
“Part” means a part of this Regulation.
“Player” means a person who is a member of a National Authority or a member of a Clubaffiliated to a National Authority (provided that, in each case, such person has paid their subscription or affiliation fees to such National Authority or Club).
“President” means the President for the time being of World Bowls.“Regulations” means these regulations.
“Statistical Return” means the return to be made by each Member National Authority in terms of Regulation 3.1.4 hereof (a) in the form prescribed by the Executive Officer and stating inter alia the latest figures available (and the date thereof) of the clubs and members thereof affiliated to or under the control of that National Authority and (b) containing a certificate as to the correctness thereof, signed by the president and
secretary/executive officer of the National Authority.
“Statutes” means, together, the Memorandum, the Articles, the Regulations and anyBulletins issued in terms thereof.
“Testing Regulations” means the Regulations adopted on 21 November 2004, as the same may be amended from time to time.
“Tournament Director” means the person appointed by the Board in accordance with Regulation 22.1.
“Voting Majority” means the votes of such number of voting Members.
“World Bowls Events” means any event, tournament or competition controlled and governed by World Bowls and means the period of time from the opening ceremony to the closing ceremony of the event, tournament or competition.
“World Bowls Misconduct” means any misconduct at a World Bowls Event in accordance with Part XI of these Regulations.
1.2 In these Regulations:
- 1.2.1 a reference to a function includes a reference to a power, authority and duty;
- 1.2.2 a reference to the exercise of a function includes, where the function is a power, authority or duty, a reference to the exercise of the power or authority or the performance of the duty;
- 1.2.3 words importing the singular include the plural and vice versa;
- 1.2.4 words importing the gender include the other gender;
- 1.2.5 references to persons include corporations and bodies politic;
- 1.2.6 references to a person include the legal personal representatives, successors and permitted assigns of that person;
- 1.2.7 a reference to a statute, ordinance, code or other law includes regulations and other statutory instruments under it and consolidations, amendments, re-enactments or replacements of any of them (whether of the same or any legislative authority having jurisdiction); and
- 1.2.8 a reference to “writing” shall unless the contrary intention appears, be construed asincluding references to printing, lithography, photography and other modes or representing or reproducing words in a visible form, including messages sent by electronic mail.
1.3 If any provision of these Regulations or any phrase contained in them is invalid or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, the phrase or provision is to be read down for the purpose of that jurisdiction, if possible, so as to be valid and enforceable, and otherwise
shall be severed to the extent of the invalidity or unenforceability, without affecting the remaining provisions of these Regulations or affecting the validity or enforceability of that provision in any other jurisdiction.
Part II – Effect and Extent
- 2.1 The Regulations shall be binding on World Bowls, Members, National Delegates, Officials and Bowlers and in so far as they are not inconsistent with the terms of the Memorandum and Articles.
- 2.2 Amendments, alterations, interpretations or other changes to the Regulations shall be advised to Members by means of Bulletins. Bulletins will be approved by the Board and issued by the Executive Officer. Bulletins are binding on World Bowls, Members, National Delegates, Officials and Bowlers.
- 2.3 The Board shall promulgate Regulations in respect of such matters as may from time to time be required.Part III – Obligations of Member National Authorities and Members
3 Member National Authorities
3.1 Member National Authorities shall:
- 3.1.1 conduct and administer Bowls in their particular country in accordance with theStatutes;
- 3.1.2 maintain a register of all Bowlers in the country for which it is the National Authority;
- 3.1.3 comply with other reasonable requests of or directions by the Board; and
- 3.1.4 reconcile their membership and forward an annual Statistical Return to the Executive Officer so as to reach the Executive Officer by 31st December in each year.
4.1 Members acknowledge and agree that:
- 4.1.1 they shall comply with and observe the Statutes, and any determination, resolution or policy that may be made or passed by the Council, the Board or any duly authorised committee; and
- 4.1.2 the Statutes are necessary and reasonable for promoting the objects of World Bowls and particularly the advancement and protection of Bowls.
4.2 Recognised and Associated Organisations
4.2.1 World Bowls recognises the following organisations as being representative of the people they respectively purport to represent:
- Asia Lawn Bowls Federation;
- European Bowls Union;
- British Isles Bowls Council and British Isles Women’s Bowls Council;
- African States-Zone VI;
- Professional Bowls Association;
- Internationals Bowls for the Disabled;
- International Deaf Bowls Federation
- 4.2.3 These organisations are not members of World Bowls, but World Bowls and its Members shall co-operate and use their best efforts with such organisations to promote their mutual interest in the Sport of Bowls.
- 4.2.4 Other Organisations: World Bowls may from time to time, in its discretion, give appropriate recognition to any other organisation upon being satisfied that such organisation was established wholly or in part to promote the Sport of Bowls amongst special interest groups it purports to represent.
- 4.2.5 Provision of Assistance: The Board of World Bowls may from time to time take whatever action the Board, in its discretion, deems appropriate to assist recognised representative organisations in increasing the participation of their respective members in the Sport of Bowls.
4.3 Reciprocity of Membership
- 4.3.1 A player who is affiliated to a member National Authority should be granted reciprocalrights when visiting another Member National Authority.
- 4.3.2 Visiting players who are currently affiliated and in good standing with their home National Authority should obtain a letter or a similar form of introduction from their home Association to present to the visited Association. The letter etc. should be sent or presented initially to the Head Quarters of the visited Association and a copy carried to present to each club etc. that is visited.Part IV – Financial Matters
5 Records and Accounts
- 5.1 The Executive Officer shall establish and maintain proper records and minutes concerning all transactions, business, meetings and dealings of World Bowls, the Council and the Board and shall produce these as appropriate at meetings of Council.
- 5.2 Proper accounting and other records shall be kept in accordance with the laws of Scotland. The books of account shall be kept in the care and control of the Executive
5.3 The Board shall forward to the Members the statements of account of World Bowls as required by the Statutes.
- 6.1 The funds of World Bowls shall be derived from Members’ fees, levies, subscriptions,donations, grants, sponsorship and such other sources as are determined by the Board.
- 6.2 All money received by World Bowls shall be deposited as soon as practicable to the credit of World Bowls bank account. An appropriate receipt shall be issued as soon as practicable after receiving any money.
7.1 Subscriptions shall be:
- 7.1.1 fixed by the Board;
- 7.1.2 payable in respect of each Financial Year; and
- 7.1.3 due and payable at the office of World Bowls on a date not later than that determined by the Board.
- 7.2 The Executive Officer shall notify every Member National Authority of the amount of the subscription due, but failure of the Executive Officer to do so, or any non-receipts of such notice, shall not exempt a National Authority that is a Member from the obligations to pay.
- 7.3 Should any National Authority that is a Member fail to pay its annual subscription by the due date, it shall be precluded from exercising any rights under the Memorandum and Articles and shall be debarred from entering its members in any international or world competition under the auspices of World Bowls. No Natio